Greetings, members and friends.
As we move towards the half year, I am pleased to present you with our third newsletter for 2015 to keep you up-to-date on recent news and happenings within the Association and the IR industry.
Q2 2015 Update
This quarter I took a trip to Thailand to talk at the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) and we organised our first event for all our members this year. We also partnered with SGX on their launch of IRFacts and saw a number of candidates successfully sit and pass the International Certificate in Investor Relations (ICIR).
Stock Exchange of Thailand IR Seminar 2015
I attended the SET’s event titled IR Preparation for Roadshows in Bangkok on 15th May to present on the Capital Markets landscape and IR Practices in Singapore. I was joined by our Secretariat, Tulchan Communication’s Senior Partner, Angela Campbell-Noë, who discussed IR Best Practice in Building a Global Investor Base and IPREO’s MD for Asia Pacific, Justin Reynolds, who talked about Investor Targeting Strategies. The president of the Thai IR Club, Mr Surayut Thavikulwat, CFO, BTS Group Holdings, then closed proceedings with a presentation on How to Prepare for an International Roadshow. It was a fruitful afternoon programme with attendance by over 80 IROs from companies of all sizes.
From left to right: Mr Surayut Thavikulwat, CFO, BTS Group Holdings, President, Thai IR Club; Mr Justin Reynolds, Managing Director, Asia Pacific, Ipreo; Mr Harold Woo, Senior Advisor, Investor & Partner Relations, CapitaLand, President, IRPAS; Mr Bordin Unakul, Executive Vice President, The Stock Exchange of Thailand; Ms Angela Campbell-Noë, Senior Partner, Tulchan Communications Asia; Ms Sineenart Chamsri, Vice President, Good Governance Department & Alliance Department, The Stock Exchange of Thailand
IRPAS Event “What investors expect from IR programmes”
On 25th May, IRPAS held its first event concentrating on investor engagement. This is an ongoing and crucial part of any IRO’s role. As the competition for global capital heats up, with overseas companies targeting Singapore investors and similarly Singapore companies looking to extend their shareholder base overseas, meeting investors’ expectations is all the more important.
We were pleased by such a strong turnout from members and friends, and would like to thank our speakers Mr Alex Lupis, Head of Corporate Access and Client
Management, Asia Pacific equities, HSBC; Ms Irene Lau, Executive Director, Corporate Access, Goldman Sachs; and Dr David Smith Head of Corporate Governance, Aberdeen
Asset Management Asia for taking the time to share their valuable knowledge and insights with us.
- Visibility: The most effective way to engage with the investment community is to get out there, something Asian IROs don’t do enough compared to Western counterparts.
- Don’t be afraid to meet clients of an analyst who holds a sell recommendation on your company. By getting in front of them, you get to tell your side of the story – and possibly turn things around.
- When evaluating corporate governance, fund managers seek to understand the fabric of the company and relationships of key individuals. Investors do not expect 100% compliance, but they do require an explanation of why you are deviating from the code and mitigating measures you are taking.
- Being good at replying queries is as important as communicating well and keeping investors updated.
- Well-prepared IROs need to know what questions are likely to be asked before going into meetings. Utilise resources such as brokers and salespersons to find out about the investor; also talk to sell-side analysts as they speak with the buy-side daily and possess great sector knowledge.
- Proactively build relationships with the salesforce, an often overlooked resource in Asia. Sales teams can provide valuable market feedback and trends, as well as additional insights into the wisdom of calls made by sell-side analysts. Work closely with corporate access teams who can set you up for quality roadshows.
- Management attitude and support is key to the effectiveness of IR; management need to understand the value of IR and make time for it.
- Consistency of messaging from the top and IROs is pertinent, and investors value openness and honesty – do not gloss over mistakes or they will assume the worst.
- Be patient with serious, long-term investors, it usually takes at least several meetings for them to make a decision to invest or not.
- Don’t ever lose credibility for yourself as an IRO or your company.
SGX/ IRPAS joint-event: IRFacts
SGX has recently announced the launch of IRFacts, a single source platform that is purpose built for SGX listed companies, to drive corporate and IR strategies. On the back of the launch, SGX and IRPAS jointly hosted a group of listed companies at SGX Centre on 26 May to showcase the functionalities of IRFacts. The platform takes an integrated approach to information and offers IR professionals the ability to seamlessly monitor market trends, undertake industry benchmarking, track recent consensus and detailed estimates, news and key developments, and target investors. To find out more about IRFacts, please contact Listing Corporate Services at tel: +65 6666 1111 or email: email@example.com.
International Certificate in Investor Relations 2015
On 16th May, the ICIR 2015 examination was held at the SGX and we would like to extend our congratulations to the following candidates for passing the examination and wish them all the best as they further advance their career in IR.
- Goh Yi Lin
- Shirley Wong
- Natalie Teh
- Sarah Tan
- Priscilla Loh
- Muhammad Hafiz Firdaus Bin Ma’il
- Wayne Khoo
- Goh Choon Hiang, Gary
- Emily Phoon
- Pearl Lam
- Janet Chia
- Kelly Johnston
- Ong Chor Hao
- Ann Leng
- Delphine Sze
- Sylvia Lee Rui Ting
Should you or anyone you know be interested in sitting for the next exam in November, please register your interest by emailing CIR@irpas.com by 1 August, 2015.
Looking forward, we have a number of events in the pipeline. In July, we are partnering with Goldman Sachs for their 2nd Investor Relations Forum and with CIMA and the IIRC in September on an <Integrated Reporting> Roundtable, as well as a number of other initiatives in the pipeline.
Featured IR Articles from Partners
We are pleased to bring to you each month specially curated articles kindly sponsored by IR Magazine (www.irmagazine.com), the leading publication for IR professionals covering all areas of investor relations from a global perspective. The articles are attached for your reading pleasure.
- Ten steps for building a retail investor strategy – IR Magazine
Two experts reveal their ten tips for reaching out to retail investors
- Two thirds see IR as a career in its own right – IR Magazine
IR seen as stepping-stone by barely a third of professionals
- Quarterly reporting: an Asian perspective – IR Magazine
Guest article on why dropping quarterly reports won’t work for all companies
- Five tips for efficient investor presentations – IR Magazine
How to present more engagingly and with greater impact
- IR: From silo function to strategic asset – IR Magazine
Investor relations professionals should look beyond their remit and immediate relationships if they want to grow
We are pleased to share IPREO’s results from their 2014/2015 Corporate Access Survey, which aims to monitor activity levels, management participation, sponsor strengths and weaknesses, overall satisfaction levels, and notable regional variations of the interactions between public companies and the investment community.
You can also watch my Q&A at the IR Awards South East Asia conference here where I discuss IRPAS’ membership growth, a busy calendar of seminars and exams for international IR certification.
Last but not least, I would like to extend my warmest welcome to our new member who has joined the IRPAS family since our last newsletter:
- Standard & Poor’s International LLC
We Want You!
Our events are most valuable when we have contributions from our fellow IROs and as we look to planning events we would like to call for volunteer IROs to speak to IRPAS members on their learnings and experiences. If you or anyone you know is keen to share experiences and insights with fellow IROs, please do not hesitate to contact me or the Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org for a discussion.
If you are still not an IRPAS member but would like to benefit from our offering and be part of an illustrious network of fellow IR practitioners and experts, please sign up for an IRPAS membership here or contact the Secretariat at email@example.com.
FREE IR MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION IF YOU REFER 3 FRIENDS. We are pleased to offer members a free one-year IR Magazine standard subscription worth US$475 per annum if you successfully refer three* corporates/individuals to sign up as IRPAS members.
*Referrals need to be unique entities i.e. different organisations/individuals.
As we move through Q2 2015, we continue to plan IRPAS activities and look forward to your continued active participation. Also, do visit our website www.irpas.com regularly for more updates and information. Till next time and I look forward to seeing you soon.
17 June 2015